Tuesday, June 07, 2005

More Deep Thoughts, but not by Jack Handey

I am a ponderer. Always have been, always will be. So today, I was pondering. Pretty much a continuation of some of what I was pondering on the drive home from church Sunday evening.

I am a moderate. A centrist. In a world which seems to be increasingly polarized, a moderate path is not an easy walk. You will catch hell from people on both sides of the argument who assume that centrism equates to neutrality, or indecisiveness, or even a lack of passion. Actually, I find it much more refreshing -- because I can see multiple viewpoints, and recognize them as valid. I can see the passion and thought that goes into that person's particular stance. And I can see their polar opposite's viewpoint and appreciate it too.

This does not mean I do not have strong opinions -- quite the contrary! My opinions are also pretty strongly held and researched. But that does not mean I won't listen to the "other" side's viewpoint and hold it to be just as valid as mine.

Gee.... wouldn't it be nice if that happened more often in our world?

No comments:

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...