Thursday, January 24, 2008

Real panic at the disco....

The other night, my brother was listening to internet music -- not sure if it was a station or he was just scouting Rhapsody, but he had on Dolly Parton's "Two Doors Down." Oh, he thought it was a hoot .... and about fell out when I said, "At least it's better than her disco song." (And you get extra bonus points if you can name the song -- and no Googling it either!)

Let us go back about 30 years or so. Sometime between 1977 and 1979, everybody and his brother hopped on the disco bandwagon. The most-often mentioned perp is Rod Stewart with "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (to whic my answer is a resounding "You were till then..."), but there were plenty of others. Even if they weren't specifically "disco" songs, they had a disco-like beat. Don't believe me?

The Stones had "Miss You" ... and even managed to beat the dead disco horse a couple of years later with "Emotional Rescue" (which cracks me up and makes me dance too). Elton? Well, there was "Victim of Love" (and not the good Eagles song). Oh yeah, the Eagles too, with the not-specifically-disco-but-heavily-influenced "Those Shoes." Even my beloved Steely Dan did "The Fez" -- which truly was built for the disco age, given its lyrical content.

And the real kicker is ...... I like some disco music.

BTW .... Dolly's song was "Baby I'm Burning" (and it wasn't that great of a song, much as I love Dolly).

1 comment:

Talmadge said...

Dammit!! Why did you have to answer it at the end?? I knew it when I read "disco" and Dolly's "Two Doors Down." I thought, "close, but no Porter Wagoner."

Do I still get the bonus points?

Another cringeworthy disco song is The Kinks' "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" from 1979.

Ooooh, and that same year KISS gave us "I Was Made For Lovin' You."

I wouldn't call "The Fez" or "Those Shoes" disco songs, either ... yeah, the influence was there, but neither song could remotely be considered sellouts in the 1-A league of "Miss You" or DYTIS.

PS - I'd better get the extra credit; now I've got that terrible, TERRIBLE song going through my head. @#$%!!!

Word verification: 'coiwcmdz' Dismissed as coiwcmdz???

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...