Sunday, February 12, 2023

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church. 

Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson University athletics, I love one of the programs that the University has called ClemsonLIFE. It is a collegiate experience that helps young people with intellectual disabilities prepare for employment and independent living. There is classroom coursework, social interaction, career guidance, and much more. It is a wonderful program. 

In our parish is a young man whose name I don’t know. But he is faithfully at Mass every Sunday morning. Based on just the outward appearances, i assume he is one of the ClemsonLIFE students. From just the observations at a distance, you can tell he is a kind soul. Sometimes he comes up for Communion with the choir instead of with the regular cadence of the congregation but you know, it’s ok. 

We also have a sweet lady I’ve had the pleasure of knowing for almost 20 years. The ravages of time are taking their toll on her physical and cognitive abilities, and it seems to be worsening. I worry so much for her. She’s had several falls over the last few years, broken bones, and it’s hard to watch her struggle physically to stand and such. Her husband - also getting frailer himself but still sharp - will lean down and whisper, “don’t worry about standing, just sit” at certain portions of Mass.

Today, she decided to get a head start on the Communion line a little early…. before her husband could stop her. But the young man who was sitting at the end of the pew saw her and ran over to help steady her. He stood with her the whole time until it was time for us in the choir to line up. He made sure she was okay. He was offered the spot in line right behind her, but deferred to her husband before getting in line. He walked back with them both to the choir area, made sure she was okay, then took his seat for prayers. The two collegiate girls sitting next to him in the pew gave him warm smiles to thank him. I don’t know if he saw them, though, as he was focused on his prayers at that point.

You know, a lot of theologians and ponderers like me would do well to imitate the young man. He saw a need and responded. He followed through. He did what was needed at the time. He didn’t care if it was within the proper “order” of things. He just loved. 

A good lesson for us all.

No comments:

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...