Friday, March 01, 2019

Shades of Grey

I sit here on yet another grey day. It's been grey most of the winter -- and I mean levels and amounts of grey and rain that we'd normally associate with Seattle or Portland and other places in the Pacific Northwest. Grey, grey, grey. Variant shades of white going into black with occasional hints that there is blue beyond the grey. That somehow, through the veil of mist and fog, there is perhaps life in color and yellow sun. My yard isn't even green -- it's muted green and brown dead grass and pools of standing water. If it doesn't dry out soon, we may have mosquitoes in April.

I miss color in my day. I am trying to wear more color - not necessarily bright ones yet, but color just to break up this monotony of grey. Even my cubicle walls are a mix of taupe, brown, and grey. My phone is grey, the desk surface is sandy grey. The office walls and carpet are grey. Neutrals and blah-ness every-damn-where. I'm using Thieves and "Immunity Blend" essential oils in my diffuser to both ward off germs and to provide a little bit of fragrance to take the place of color. I've found a great rose-oil perfume that does something along the same line, because I need something to brighten things. I'm thinking of getting some sort of tie-dye banner or something bright to put in the cubicle to break up this far-too-dull boxy area. (OOOOH, World Market might have something!)

And if you think for a second that the greyness of the world isn't affecting my feelings and emotions, you'd be dead wrong. Several years ago, I bought a Happy Light (by Verilux) because Seasonal Affective Disorder (along with unmedicated anxiety and depression) made me a virtual monster one very grey autumn. It has paid for itself this year. I use it about 10-15 minutes each day and I swear by it. It may be purely anecdotal but...... I can't ignore the evidence. That and Lexapro have kept me sane this winter.

Punxsatawney Phil, your "early spring" better happen soon, buster. It's been four weeks tomorrow. You owe us.

No comments:

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...