Thursday, April 10, 2008

A wonderful opportunity!

Earlier this week, the local affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure called me, inquiring if I would be interested in joining the Race Committee. Sure, why not, I thought, and signed up to be at tonight's kickoff meeting.

It has been a very long time since I have volunteered in any capacity outside of my church. I was so involved with community service in high school and college, and couldn't imagine not doing something like that as an adult. I mean, for criminy's sake, I was a member of a service fraternity in college!!!! But soon work, life, stress, you name it -- it all came along and suddenly there was no time for my community. My church got my volunteer energy -- not that there's anything wrong with that, but the community at large could have used me too.

One of my resolutions was to do some community service again, but I was thinking of volunteering at the animal shelter once a month or something like that. So finally the time has come. It's a good opportunity to help, and it's certainly a cause about which I am passionate.

I was thinking this was going to be something like a "volunteer opportunity fair" -- you know, go in, see what volunteer ideas are available, go in and sign up for 2 or 3 little things ..... you know, like helping on team registration day. Or "hey, I'll help with promotions!"

Oh no. Oh no. This was a meeting for people who are going to be COORDINATORS and CHAIRPEOPLE. So guess what? I signed up to be "Sleep In For The Cure" coordinator. I will help promote this event (for people who want to contribute and get some tangible item but who have NO intention of getting up that early to actually walk or run!), buy the prizes, etc.

I'm actually kind of psyched about this whole thing. It's not only about time I stepped back into volunteering, it's time I got out and networked again. I haven't done much of that since I left ol' FD nearly 14 years ago. I'm looking forward to what I can do to help the cause along!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me guess Alpha Phi Omega?

Me to!

nettiemac said...

HELLO THERE BROTHER!!! Yep, A Phi O, Alpha Alpha Epsilon chapter (College of Charleston). AH, those were the days!

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...