Thursday, December 25, 2003

Christmas thoughts

What a busy week......! Between a massive 10-hour shopping blitz on Saturday, church on Sunday, and trying to cram five days' worth of work into two days..... well, you can just imagine how it was in my little world!

But now the rush of the season is past, and we can enjoy the actual wonder and beauty of Christmas. And time to send out my Christmas cards..... as I told several of my friends, there was just too much to do to send them out before the 25th. However, the holiday season extends into January for both my religions (Catholic Christianity and college football).... it ain't over till Epiphany or the last BCS Bowl game is played!! So all my friends will be getting their cards a bit late. Most have been QUITE understanding!

One idea I'd like to pass on: our diocesan Bishop has asked all families to light a candle of hope (a white candle to symbolize the Christ-child) during the Christmas season (December 25 through January 5), and during that time, to do an act of kindness or make a stab at reconciliation -- to light a candle, instead of cursing the darkness. In a time when war and fear and terror and hatred seem to be the only things on the news, we're hard-pressed to find hope and peace. Small as the effort may be, peace in ourselves, in our homes, will spread and one day... one day ... lead to real peace in the world. Apparently John Lennon really was right: "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....." So if you feel inclined, do the same in your own home, and in your own family.

Blessings to you and yours in this season -- whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, the Solstice, or Kwaanza, or any other winter holiday celebration. May peace truly reign.

No comments:

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...