Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Listening Room

I haven't made any changes to my MP3 player lately. I honestly haven't been using it that much. This summer, I haven't been to the Y, instead choosing to walk my dog -- and it's not a good idea to be doubly distracted (dog and music). However, I have been listening online to a couple of playlists from my Rhapsody account......

On "Playlist 1" we have.........
  • "Lovefool" (The Cardigans). Nice little infectious bright Europop from the late 90s. I enjoy it. Can't say why, but I do.
  • "Babylon Sisters" (Steely Dan). Hello? It's the Dan. That's reason enough. I like this song a lot -- can't explain why. I just do.
  • "Hey Nineteen" (Steely Dan). See above.
  • "Remind Me" (Royksopp). Don't know this one? Yeah, you do. Think the Geico commercial where the caveman is going down the autowalk at the airport and sees the large billboard. Nice Euro-electronica.
  • "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows?" (Rolling Stones). Another that I don't know why I like it but I do.
  • "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" (Hall & Oates). I love H&O. They're awesome. I could pretty much add most of their 80s hits to this list.
  • "This Masquerade" (George Benson). George Benson is awesome, and so is this Leon Russell-penned song.
  • "Late in the Evening" (Paul Simon). I like a lot of his solo work, and while the movie flopped (remember One-Trick Pony?), this song did not. At least not with me.
  • "Sweet Baby" (Stanley Clarke & George Duke). A true gem from 1981 -- a sweet song, and one I could listen to over and over again.
  • "It's All Over Now" (Rolling Stones). A damn fine song. I don't think it's played often enough as "Time Is On My Side" (which still creeps me out after seeing Fallen!). That's a shame..... this is a great kiss-off song.
  • "Janie Runaway" (Steely Dan). A parent's worst nightmare of a song; but oh, that groove gets me.
  • "Tumbling Dice" (Rolling Stones). From the great Exile on Main Street .... just fantastic.
  • "Rise" (Herb Alpert). Yes, this was the song thumping in the background when Luke raped Laura on General Hospital. And yes, I probably should hate this song. Sue me; I love it.
  • "Too Many People" (Paul McCartney). I just like it.
  • "Hour Glass" (Squeeze). While "Tempted" is probably my favorite Squeeze song, this is another one I like.
  • "C Moon" (Paul McCartney). Another one that I just like. There's a lot of Sir Paul's music that I like for no discernible reason.
  • "Hi Hi Hi" (Paul McCartney). A rocking one from him ... wish he'd done more of these in his solo career and fewer, ....er, "Silly Love Songs."
  • "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Rolling Stones). You know dang well I love this song with a complete passion. You thought it wouldn't be on a list here? Please!
  • "Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" (Hall & Oates). Another one of their good underrated songs from the 80s.
  • "Jet" (Wings). Another good Macca rocker. Again, wish he'd done a thousand of these.
  • "New Frontier" (Donald Fagen). A fantastic song!!!! It has long been one of my favorites, and when we got our first camcorder (a HUGE honkin' thing), I did a "music video" -- set the tape of my family and our shenanigans to this song. It will always be one of my favorites.
  • "Diamonds On The Soles of Her Shoes" (Paul Simon). Graceland was a fantastic album --- hard to believe it's now 20 years old!!!
  • "Almost Gothic" (Steely Dan). Another great song from Two Against Nature (a great, great CD!)
  • "Hard To Say I'm Sorry / Get Away" (Chicago). I truly couldn't care less about the first song. But I LOVE that coda ... the one they never play anymore. It doesn't fit in a "lite" format or a "Quiet Storm" evening show. Screw 'em all, it's the best part of the song.
  • "Bicycle Race" (Queen). Why not? This was on someone's "Tour de France" playlist and I said, "Yeah! That works!"
  • "Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof Off The Sucka)" (Parliament). The whole post below about "the van is back" has set off a vast need to hear this song, and as often as possible!
  • "Never Been Any Reason" (Head East). Because they don't play it often enough and it's a great song!
  • "South California Purples" (Chicago). Before they hit it big, they were a brass/jazz/rock fusion unit and actually had a little psychedelic edge to them .... give a listen to this, and then to "Wishing You Were Here." (Hard to believe it's the same group, huh?)
  • "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" (The Dramatics). Fantastic 70s soul. Not enough of this anymore either....... :( Geez, that seems to be a running theme here....
  • "I.G.Y" (Donald Fagen). I so loved this song back in '82. I so love The Nightfly. It makes me wish for the vibe of the late 50s/early 60s and that optimism that young adults must have felt even in the height of the Cold War. I picture the early days of Kennedy's Camelot. Makes me long for what might have been.
  • "Break My Stride" (Matthew Wilder). Ahhh...... good memories of being an 80s kid.
  • "New York State of Mind" (Billy Joel). A great song that almost makes me want to go there. Not necessarily to live, but to at least visit for a while.
  • "Running on Faith" (Eric Clapton). A wonderful song, and almost prayer-like. At least I could turn it into one. I love it immensely.
  • "Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)" (Billy Joel). This is the Songs in the Attic version, because it's the one I know and love best. Hard to believe 2017 is only 10 years off, too. ZOIKS!
  • "Reflections of My Life" (Marmalade). 70s whiny music at its zenith/nadir. I don't care. I like the Hollies-like harmonies (and melody, for that matter). That's something sorely missing these days -- truly tight harmonies.
  • "Tight Rope" (Leon Russell). Great singer/songwriter who doesn't get nearly the popular credit he deserves.
  • "Dark Star" (Crosby Stills & Nash). I didn't remember this when it was out the first time in the 70s. But one Sunday afternoon about 15 years ago, I was in a DEEEEEP nap with my radio on (big surprise there). I woke up and this song was playing. I just lay there, still trying to wake up and hearing the song, and thinking, "Wow! This is good." (I knew OF the song, but as I said, didn't really remember it). It's a favorite now.
I also have a 2nd playlist for when I need just some other music to hear:
  • "Carry On" (Crosby Stills Nash & Young). One of my very favorites by them.
  • "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (Neil Young). This song has become a favorite over the years, and it just touches a soft spot in my heart.
  • "Up On Cripple Creek" (The Band). Can't be explained.... just one I enjoy!
  • "Life Is A Highway" (Tom Cochrane). A great song from the early 90s, and It's a damn fine song, and I will sit at my desk and silently sing along every single time!
  • "Lunatic Fringe" (Red Rider). I was in high school when this came out, and one of my classmates said something about Red Rider. I said, "Oh, the group that does 'Lunatic Fringe'?" His jaw dropped....... He didn't know that anyone else knew who they were. Ya know, I got a lot of that back then. I loved it then; I love it now. Oh yeah -- Great song, too.
  • "Never Been Any Reason" (Head East). I told you they don't play this often enough!
  • "MLK" (U2). I love it. Short, simple, prayerful, peaceful. Dr. King would probably have enjoyed it too.
  • "One Particular Harbour" (Jimmy Buffett). I love this song. I will not try to dissect why, I will just enjoy it. And dream of the day I can head to my own particular harbour.
  • "After the Gold Rush" (Neil Young). Not much has changed in 35+ years, has it? Mother Nature is still on the run......
  • "Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)" (Digable Planets). HA!!!!!!! Threw you a curve, didn't I? A great song, and I wish they'd done more like this!
  • "The Shape I'm In" (The Band). They were "Americana" before that became a genre, and was just played on regular radio. I miss those days.
  • "If You Want To Get to Heaven" (Ozark Mountain Daredevils). You really do have to raise a little hell.......
  • "How Do I Make You" (Linda Ronstadt). It was panned as her attempt to appeal to a punk(er) audience -- I still like it.
  • "Broken" (Angie Aparo). I got this song on a Joe Muggs compilation CD from Books-a-Million, and it was one of the ones I'd listen to most. Really good song!
  • "22 Steps" (Andy Stochansky). Also from the Joe Muggs compilation, and another that seemed to get extra listens.
  • "Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)" (Neil Young). I like it better than "My My Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" ..... it has the angry energy that I think of when I think of Neil Young.
  • "Heart of the Night" (Poco). One of my favorites by Poco.
  • "A Pirate Looks At 40" (Jimmy Buffett). I've always loved this ...... and with 40 approaching faster than I'd like, I can relate. My true occupation's just not around (much) anymore, either........

1 comment:

Talmadge said...

Music, music, music .... you talked me into it!

"Lovefool" (The Cardigans)
Very catchy song, but it brings back the whole feel of much of my '90s life pre-divorce/pre-Seraphim.
Creamy ointment garnished with fly.

"Babylon Sisters" (Steely Dan)
"Hey Nineteen" (Steely Dan)

Gaucho. Good album. Great tracks. Of course, the 'Dan never did anything less than 'great.'

"Remind Me" (Royksopp).
No thanks, we'll stick to State Farm.

"Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows?" (Rolling Stones)
Why ask why? Early Stones. Can't go wrong here. My question is, how did that title fit on the label of the 45? Answer: "Ummm, Tal, y'ever heard of agate type?"

"I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" (Hall & Oates).
H&O has done nothing but grow on me as I've grown up. I used to think of 'em as lightweight - didn't outright DISLIKE 'em, but in my high school/early college years, I was very much AOR/classic rock. And Daryl and John, Haulin' Their Oats didn't cut it. Today, though, I know the truth: '80s blue-eyed soul didn't come better.

"This Masquerade" (George Benson)
Much better than The Carpenters' mutila--er, um, cover, but my vote goes for Leon's original.

"Late in the Evening" (Paul Simon)
Movie be damned, this is certainly in my top-five of 1980. ("One Trick Pony" - the minor-hit followup - was no slouch, either).

"Sweet Baby" (Stanley Clarke & George Duke)
Just slam me back to 1981's sweet Summer in Cape Girardeau, will ya? This underrated classic brings back so much in my life during that time.

"It's All Over Now" (Rolling Stones)
"Great kiss-off song" is an understatement. I took great joy in playing this one on my "freedom" show of TOTR - just hours after having been offered the job over here, and my ticket out of the salt mine.

"Janie Runaway" (Steely Dan).
It's all about the groove, dearfolk.

"Tumbling Dice" (Rolling Stones).
Comes up a 7 every time.

"Rise" (Herb Alpert).
Another unsung classic, regardless of its soap opera infamy.

"Too Many People" (Paul McCartney).
I just like it, too. And I found my lucky break.

"Hour Glass" (Squeeze)
Egg timers down, the catchiest record of 1987. Love the chorus. Love it, I do.

"C Moon" (Paul McCartney).
I used to like substituting the words "B Side" to the tune. Cuzzin' that's what it was. :-)

The song? For my speed, it outdid what was on the A-side:

"Hi Hi Hi" (Paul McCartney).
File under "Dark side of the C Moon." I give it a 72, Dick.

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" (Rolling Stones).
The classics NEVER die, mon. ("Rastapiece Theater")

"Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid" (Hall & Oates).
An H&O song I liked right from the beginning. Captured the increasing ambivalence I was starting to feel about a girl I was dating at the time.

"Jet" (Wings).
Another Macca "Unsilly Rock Song." Favorite tracks on BOTR: "Let Me Roll It" and "1985."

"New Frontier" (Donald Fagen)
Should've been the big hit.

"Diamonds On The Soles of Her Shoes" (Paul Simon)
My favorite track on Graceland. Wonderful college memories.

"Almost Gothic" (Steely Dan). Another great song from Two Against Nature (a great, great CD!)
Fully concur.

"Hard To Say I'm Sorry / Get Away" (Chicago).
Mention this title to my son, and you'll get a highly-visible cringe. His HS band did this one as part of their halftime show last Fall. Hate to say, it's been ruined for me -- I can't hear it without the bells!

And "Get Away" says one thing, and one thing only: "You damn hippies, listen closely because we'll never do this again. It's all ballads and appealing to the 18-34 wimmen from here on out. Ch-CHING, baby!" (psst, don't tell anyone about the duet I'll do with Amy Grant in a few more years...)

"Bicycle Race" (Queen).
My fat bottom can't race today. The chain on my Schwinn done broke.

"Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof Off The Sucka)" (Parliament).
Finally, a Clinton I can like!

"Never Been Any Reason" (Head East).
The ultimate Midwest arena rock band. This one takes a backseat to "Love Me Tonight" (also from Flat As a Pancake).

"South California Purples" (Chicago).
Hard to believe this is the same group that gave us "You're The Inspiration" .... Peter Cetera should NEVER have drank the Kool-Aid that young lady was selling in front of her house. I think her name was Delilah.....

"Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" (The Dramatics).
'70s soul. Yeah. (why do I hear Don Cornelius' voice in the back of my head all of a sudden?)

"I.G.Y" (Donald Fagen).
Camelot died. Both Kennedy's and the record store. The Vast Texas Right-Wing Conspiracy (including LBJ - I didn't say that ... did I?) killed the former. The latter was killed by high prices.

Oh, and the song? If it says Fagen-Fagen-Fagen on the label-label-label, you will like it-like it-like it on the turntable-table-table.

"Break My Stride" (Matthew Wilder).
Always liked his follow-up ("The Kid's American") better.

"New York State of Mind" (Billy Joel).
I've never been to NY, but listening to this song I can just about picture the area where Kate/Susan grew up.

"Running on Faith" (Eric Clapton).
Emphasis on "Faith."

"Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)"
Yep, one of these days THIS one will also join Prince's "1999", Macca's "1985" in the "Futuristic no more" file. Next? "In the Year 2525."

"Reflections of My Life" (Marmalade).
Whiny? Yeah, it flirts with joining my infamous Woe Is Me anthology ... but as I've posted before, it takes me back to a sad spot on an otherwise idyllic time.

"Tight Rope" (Leon Russell).
Yeah - no respect. He's a kindred spirit of Laura Nyro. One of those "Damn, (s)he wrote THAT one, too?" songwriters.

"Dark Star" (Crosby Stills & Nash)
What a great album (CSN). This, "Shadow Captain", "Run From Tears" .... yeaaaaah ....

"Carry On" (Crosby Stills Nash & Young).
I rather enjoy the 1980 remix myself, with the acapella ending.

"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (Neil Young).
Beautiful. And I say this as a Neil song is playing on SIRIUS 16: THE VAULT -- "The Needle and the Damage Done"

"Up On Cripple Creek" (The Band).
No explanation needed. Just get in the canoe and let the current take you where it may.

"Life Is A Highway" (Tom Cochrane).
Good song, although tainted around the edges by events in 1992.

"Lunatic Fringe" (Red Rider).
Used to get played quite often by the Top-40/AOR hybrid in Cape Girardeau, Q-99. Moved to central Arkansas, where I swear they'd never heard of it. A real one-track wonder of AOR's golden age.

"Never Been Any Reason" (Head East).
I thought MP3 players on shuffle don't repeat until after all other songs have played....

"MLK" (U2).
U2 is as close to contemporary Christian music as you'll see this white boy go.

"One Particular Harbour" (Jimmy Buffett).
This is Jimmy Freakin' Buffett we're talking about. He don't need no steenkin' harbor.

"After the Gold Rush" (Neil Young).
Much as I appreciate and sometimes enjoy the proto-grunge of Mr. Neil, it's his softer side I really dig.

"Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)" (Digable Planets).
Does not ring a bell, I'm afraid.

"The Shape I'm In" (The Band)
I need an Alka-Seltzer.... whoops, wrong "shape I'm in."

"If You Want To Get to Heaven" (Ozark Mountain Daredevils).
I played this one night on TOTR as Doc was sitting in the control room with me. Then, right in the middle of the record, it occurred to me: I'm playing this in front of MY PREACHER!!!!! And no, Doc didn't bat an eye.

"How Do I Make You" (Linda Ronstadt).
The many moods of Ronstadt. Punk ... check .... now let me spin the wheel for my next album. *wrrrrrrrrrrrr dakkadakkadakkadakka - dakka - dah -ka - dah - ka* Well, I'll be damned. Easy listening torch music! Hello, may I speak to Mr. Riddle, please?

"Broken" (Angie Aparo).
"22 Steps" (Andy Stochansky).

Haven't heard these. I guess a trip to B-A-M is in my future.

"Hey Hey My My (Into the Black)" (Neil Young).
"It's Better to Light Up Than To Fade In"?

"Heart of the Night" (Poco).
So-So Poco. Give me "Indian Summer" or especially "Barbados" any ol' day.

"A Pirate Looks At 40" (Jimmy Buffett).
This Curmudgeon Looking Back At 40 sez: It's nice up here.

And on that note, I'm putting on my mask and breathing deep the gathering ... slumber .....

Walking Each Other Home

​I wanted to share with you a thing of true beauty I saw today at church.  Let me preface it by saying while I am no fan of Clemson Universi...